Waiting for UNHCR's Officials

Published on Oct 02 2009 // Opinion
By Vidhyapati Mishra

“I never heard of my son opposing third country resettlement program,” lamented 79-year-old Bal Bahadur Khadka, who is filled with unplumbed agony of losing his son last month.

Bal Bahadur Khadka
Bal Bahadur Khadka

Several in camp have told Bal Bahadur that his son, Karna Bahadur, was murdered since he opposed resettlement program and always advocated for repatriation.

“He did not choose to resettle our family,” he said adding, “But, he always encouraged those willing go to America.”

He could put strong evidence to support his say – my son sent his eldest daughter and the youngest brother in America.

Bal Bahadur, who has low hearing capacity, saw a large crowd in his hut in the evening of September 8 when his son, Karna Bahadur, was murdered by two strangers in Beldangi-II camp. However, he never thought that such a brutal slaying had occurred in his own family.

When the family narrated whole the story to him the next morning, he just listened to a few words and went unconscious.

“Why don’t the UNHCR officials come to our hut to listen to our pain,” cried Bal Bahadur.

Bishnu Maya Khadka holds her husband photo

Bishnu Maya Khadka holds her husband photo

He had seen the UNHCR’s officials many times in the past during emergency in camp.

He wanted to ask the UNHCR’s Field Assistant and Protection Officer once regarding their silence.

“Everyday I see several vehicles of UNHCR and International Organization for Migration coming to this camp,” he told. “However, not a single vehicle comes here to console my family.”

Khadka expressed that at first he did not believe several fellow-countrymen telling him that his son was killed when he opposed resettlement.

“The UNHCR’s absence in my family has made me little convincing that my son was murdered according to their interest.”

According to his neighbors, Bal Bahadur walks alone along the road towards bangay Bazaar even during night, and always needs someone to look at him. They also claim that he was unable to follow his daily routine since the slaying.

“My son never did anything wrong. That is why thousands of well-wishers attended his funeral,” he uttered.

He was seen enthusiastic to talk to the UNHCR regarding his resettlement process since he was not assured of his security in camp.

“We can’t stay here anymore. We must to go for resettlement to save our lives.”